In attendance: Madeline Beery, Hanan Bell, Teresa Metzger-Howe, Koko Morgan, Linda O’Gara, Kathleen O'Keeffe, Doug Potter, and Dana Rosenbladt.
The October 18, 2017 minutes were approved.
Seattle Arts & Culture grant's deadline was different than what was understood at the last Board meeting. We had not missed the deadline. Thus, we have had our grant accepted for next year. A new one time grant from Plymouth Congregational Church could be used to help with the Fall concert. It is called the Inspirational grant and is worth $1,500.
Rain City Symphony had more member donations than usual. A matching funds grant of $700 has been given to RCS for Spring quarter. Another way to get funds might be through IRA distributions. Members will be encouraged to think about donating this way.
Music Director's Report
Teresa feels the Fall Concert would be improved by reducing the amount of time for the plea to assist the homeless. A tactful way to accomplish this will need to be determined.
Selection of Officers to the Board of Directors and Their Terms
Hanan Bell, Madeline Beery, and Gennie Winkler were re-elected to the board.
Below is the list of the Board of Directors and their positions.
President: Doug Potter
Vice-President: Gennie Winkler
Secretary: Koko Morgan
Treasurer: Linda O'Gara
Music Director: Teresa Metzger Howe (ex officio)
Membership Director: Bruce Sherman
Librarian: Hanan Bell
Venue Coordinator: Gennie Winkler
Publicity Coordinator: Kathleen O'Keeffe
Development Director: Madeline Beery
Assignment of other tasks
A. Answer info emails
Bruce as Membership Director will be asked to answer emails from potential new Symphony members.
B. Front of house
We need to find some to assist with the front of the house and concert set-up now that Gennie is also the VP.
A. The 2017 Fall Concert was well attended by 160 people. The dress rehearsal at Providence Mount St. Vincent's assisted living facility had 45 people attend in the chapel and 50 people listen in the rooms.
B. Teresa was wondering if risers would make a difference to the sound of the brass section. Maybe we should rent some and see if the sound is better.
Check in on one year action plan
One Year Action Plan
1. Increase orchestral membership for needed sections through networking - need more basses
2. Develop a plan for donor acknowledgement - Kathleen, Linda and Koko
3. Raise orchestral donations in lieu of due increase
4. Improve relationship with the MCNW explore improving lighting and sound - Doug
5. Track audience size--need a head count at the pre-concerts and concerts - Bruce
6. Need picture of the concerts for grants - Bruce
7. Document job positions - all responsible
8. Identify additional roles
9. Create a succession plan for the recruiting new board members. Need more board members with new ideas and more ownership of the board.
10. Survey the members at the end of the season to see how they felt the year went
11. Secure funding for improving lighting and sound baffling. Work with Music Center of the Northwest and see what they think of possible changes - Doug
Next Board Meeting: January 31, 2018 at 6:30 pm at MCNW.